FtW Bloggers Group

Friday, February 17, 2012

Suprise Ultras for February and Terrain

I had not intended to do these guys up this month but it looked like at one point I was going to play a game for the Universe H8Z Ultramarines day Feb 18th and I had planned on doing a boarding action. To wit-I wanted some assault marines to help repell the foes of the Imperium but didn't want jump infantry (they would hit their heads on the passageways of course)! I also had dipped some figs for conversion to the holy form of Ultramarines and was not sure what to do with them. Not to drop names but I saw a post on Ron's blog (www.fromthewarp.blogspot.com) where he did a squad of veteran assault marines that could also be broken up to be veteren sergeants and it occurred to me to do the same in reverse. I took some old 2nd ed plastic sergeants that I have a-plenty, cut off their heads (screaming "There can be only one!" of course), repaired the subsequent damage and turned them into assault marines. Marrying them up with the remnants of the other squad I had bathed lovingly in Simple Green, paint and out came these guys:

Photobucket

Also, inspired by greater minds on the internet (there are too many sources vieing for being first to come up with this so I don't want to cite the wrong person-just assume someone smarter than me came up with this idea) and the fact that my vehicles like to explode, I made some destroyed vehicle templates with tea lights at their core for that lovely burning effect:

Photobucket

Finally, channelling the spirit of Sean Patten (www.ironhands.com) I built these two power sub-stations. Suitable for your local hive world, ruined city, or vital ship board component. I look forward to multiple uses for these guys. The are a project I've been meaning to do for years and are based off of household electric boxes, Platformer and Mechanicus parts, and some other bits and pieces.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Next up will be some building ruins I put together and some shipboard/industrial components.

2 comments:

  1. I've always thought the blue armour with the gold trim looked so sharp. That or white, but I think the gold looks better.

    Nice work.
    Ron, FTW

    ReplyDelete
  2. You honor me sir; they actually do look better in real life though. When I moved away from Virginia I lost my photo area and still have not gotten around to making a new one so my pics come out either over-exposed or under.

    ReplyDelete